Saturday, December 30, 2006

There are some wounds that do not heal

I once wrote about the pain of losing love. I wrote it in response for a good friend of mine who asked if I ever did get over past loves. And it would have been easier to say 'no'. Really. I wouldn't have to explain everything. But in all honesty, the only answer that I could give was, "No, you'll never know until you love again and you are hurt once more." I realized that it was an answer that no one wanted to hear and I would be lying if I said, "Yes, I've gotten over it," or "Yes, I'll get over it soon enough."

Some would retreat from the front lines and remain as far away as possible from the threat of having their heart torn open and broken into tiny little pieces. I can hear them crying over their loss as they crouch and hide in their secret places. I understand how much love they have given, how much of themselves they have sacrificed and how far they were willing to go. And for it to end nowhere - I can imagine the pain they have to bear. Fruitless. Thankless. Hopeless. To receive nothing in return.

I, too, have felt the same thing like many others have felt. It would be easier to retreat and save myself the trouble, but I am stronger than that. I move on, picking up the pieces that has been broken too many times - they no longer fit where they used to be. I count the days, hours, minutes and seconds - trying to forget a wound that never heals. Cutting it off wouldn't do any good either. Have you heard about phantom pain? Yes, even if it's no longer there, the pain remains.

There are some things that do not heal. Some wounds cannot be forgotten. The only thing we can do is become stronger.

No comments: