Friday, December 22, 2006

Looking for a Smile

There was once a man who was looking for a smile. And it's not like he was unhappy with the one he had - he just didn't have one. And so he began his search for a smile, meeting people and looking at their faces - examining their smiles and thinking which one would suit him best.

He had chanced upon a girl whose smile was warm and friendly. When she saw him, the smile was gone. No, this wasn't the smile he was looking for. He wanted a smile that lasted longer.

He had met another girl whose smile remained when he looked. He had asked for the smile on her face. Sadly, she admits that she smiles to hide the sadness inside. He didn't want that kind of smile. He wanted one that was genuine and lasted longer than a moment.

Another girl came by with a smile that looked genuine and when he looked, the smile had not disappeared from her face. The man became envious of it and had asked for it. The girl approved of it and both of them kissed. But the smile would not go to him, because it belonged to the girl. Sadly, he went away still looking for a smile he would call his own.

He looked far and wide, crossed rivers and mountains, traveled to the moon and back - but there was no smile for him. And as he sat down at the edge of the river one day to rest, a girl came up to him. Why are you resting, she asked. I'm looking for a smile, the man answered. Have you found one yet, she asked. Yes, he replied. But the smiles I found were not for me, he added.

Would you like to try on my smile, she asked. The man looked up at her and examined the smile on her face. It did not disappear when he looked. And it was as genuine as it appeared. Would you allow me, he asked. Of course, she replied. And they both kissed each other. The man looked at his reflection on the water's edge and saw the smile on his face. He was happy. He had found his smile.

I'd thought that I'd never find my smile, he said to himself. And when he turned to the girl who offered her smile to him, he found her face without the smile. Where is your smile now, he asked. It's with you, she replied. You are unhappy, he said. You don't need to see my smile to know I am happy, she said. I am happy inside to my smile on your face, she replied.

The man soon became unhappy. He looked at his reflection and quickly saw how the smile was slowly disappearing. And he tried to fake it, but the smile was genuine. I cannot take this, he said. Why, she asked. Because I have been selfish looking for the smile on other people's faces, he replied. And while I love your smile I cannot take it from you, he added. So he approached her and kissed her, bringing the smile back on her lips.

I would rather see the smile on your face than on mine, he said. Why, she asked. Because you offered it to me and loved it, he said. But it does not belong to me, he added. So how will I know if you're happy, she asked. I will be smiling inside, he replied finally.

No comments: