Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Fountainhead

Only a week while I was cleaning my home office that I discovered and old that my late father possessed. It was one of Ayn Rand's books called The Fountainhead. It was obvious that my father would have read it because the protagonist in the novel was an architect named Howard Roark. That profession has escaped me when I decided to become an adman, but it didn't change my mind about reading it.

I promise that this wouldn't be a review of that material, after all, I call myself no critic. But the spirit of the book calls on all individuals to stand out from the rest. Not just to voice their opinion but to champion themselves. Uncompromisingly. The life of Howard Roark was difficult and he stood against the world because he was an individual. He never believed in the voice of the masses nor the collective. Alone, he was all that.

There was a statement by Howard Roark, "I don't work with collectives. I don't consult. I don't cooperate. I don't collaborate." Struck me like a spear through the heart. I had heard someone say that to me a long time ago and it seemed only fitting that I listened to myself saying it when I went through the book.

I think it's time for me to become what my father wanted me to be. There was a reason why he left the book. I believe, he left it for me to read. The Fountainhead is not something I'd give for people to read. A book this potent should be offered instead. And leave the decision to the one who you're giving it to.

5 comments:

Kwis said...

I loved The Fountainhead. Read it about 15 years ago.

Ayn Rand's other books are good too.

Sam Alapan said...

True. I've already bought Atlas Shrugged recently. I really don't know why I only read this now when the book that my father left has been in my room for the past few years since his death. I think he meant me to find it.

dudit said...

Since we already discussed The Fountainhead earlier, I only have one question:

pink talaga ang layout mo? Bakeeeeet? :-P

Sam Alapan said...

Because real men do pink. :-) Why should I be afraid of it? Besides, it just might attract some girls.

honeytonguedharpy said...

So we're still on fountainhead bihag? Kidding. I see you're creative binge has been productive. I'm prodding the other banana to re-read AR so we can yak about it next time.

Oh how pink suis you! (I will now employ my evil laugh)