Sunday, January 7, 2007

Count Your Blessings

Who wouldn't appreciate this particular cliché? A lot of hopeless people do. And we, a people who've seen so much anxiety and depression, seem to embrace it without thinking of the consequences of surrendering our dreams into oblivion.

Is it wrong to dream and hope for better things? Is it wrong to try to achieve something which cannot be reached? Is it wrong to think about lofty ideas? If I dream, hope and wish for something worthwhile than all of this - should I allow the world to brand me a fool?

Should I give up then and just allow the fates to deliver what is intended for me then? Lazily waiting for the apple to fall inside my mouth? Pathetic. So, why should I count my blessings? I already have thanked the powers that be for giving me such valuable gifts. I have been rewarded on the hard work that I've done, but I always want more. I know I deserve more.

I count on the things I have yet to receive. Am I asking too much then - knowing how big the disappointment can get if I don't receive what is due me? So what. I'd rather be rewarded well than not be rewarded at all. It would be impossible for me to be completely happy if I had compromised.

So, if some idiot tells you to count your blessings, just lie about how happy you are and thank them. They don't know any better and wish for nothing more but what is given to them.

No comments: